For my first post on "Green is Good," I wanted to highlight some of the good things that are going on in Pittsburgh. I'm a firm believer that "Green is Good" and that we can spur the economy while saving the planet with the right planning and investment. As a country and a region, we've spent more than enough money investing in projects that are anti-Green. It's time for Green.
5 Exciting Projects Happening Right Now:
- Dan Onorato has pledged to use his millions of green stimulus money on weatherizing buildings throughout the county.
- Car-Free Fridays and in general a biking renaissance in the city of Pittsburgh spear-headed by bike-pgh
- A great focus on our rivers with new docks planned and more interconnecting river-side trails.
- Construction of the first LEED-certified Gold Sports Arena - even if it has a bad name.
- Green Innovators. This long-term pet project of Senator Jim Ferlo is set to teach high school graduates to become "green collar" and work in the abundant green projects throughout the region.
That's a healthy list of things to be proud of in the Pittsburgh area. We have a long ways to go (which I'll be sure to point out in future posts) but there's a lot going on here. Anything you're excited about that I missed?